We are always happy to hear from talented individuals. We find the following qualities important in a translator:
- Linguistic skills - needless to say, this is the most important quality you need to possess as a translator. And it is not just about being able to understand the source text but also being able to provide an exact transfer of information in the target language, including preservation of the style.
- Specialization in a subject - it is important that you are an expert of the fields you work in. There are texts that you just cannot translate by looking up words in a dictionary. You need to have a thorough understanding of the subject you work with.
- Attention to detail - the value of an otherwise good translation is quickly ruined by a typo. A numerical error can be a deal-breaker. Terminological inconsistencies can make a translated document difficult to understand. You need to be prepared to commit time and effort to make sure the information is the same both in the source and target documents.
- Commitment - meeting deadlines is just as important as providing quality. If you have agreed to a due date, you must comply with it.
- Computer literacy - in addition to the normal office software, you are supposed to be familiar with translation memory tools, quality assurance tools, etc.
If these traits are important to you, too, and you are ready to deliver on them, we encourage you to register with us as a freelance translator by completing this form.